Maria Fernanda Espinosa has served as Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ecuador on two occasions. The first in 2007 and the second in 2017.
Minister of Foreign Affairs
for the Republic of the Ecuador
MINISTER FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS AND HUMAN MOBILITY OF THE REPUBLIC OF ECUADOR AND COORDINATOR OF THE SECTORAL CABINET FOR EXTERNAL RELATIONS (5/2017 - 6/2018)
As Ecuadorian Chancellor in the period 2017 – 2018, her most noteworthy achievements were:
- Presided over the G77 + China group
- chaired the Andean Community (CAN)
- chaired the bi-national coordination cabinets between Ecuador and the governments of Colombia and Peru.
- Designed and launched the initiative for the Amazonia as a mechanism to strengthen the Amazon Cooperation Treaty Organization.
- Served as mediator for the peace dialogues between the government of Colombia and the ELN (National Liberation Army) armed group.
- Provided greater consular assistance for Ecuadorians living abroad by strengthening the “mobile consulate” system and providing additional personnel for migrant’s attention.
In addition to her role as Foreign Minister, the President of Ecuador entrusted Maria Fernanda Espinosa with the supervision and coordination of the policies related to the foreign sector and the international promotion of the country, which encompassed the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Foreign Commerce Ministry, the Tourism Ministry and the Heritage and Culture Ministry. Espinosa led this sector, building policies and sectoral plans to strengthen the country’s external management, bilateral trade relations, international image, tourism, trade and investment. Noteworthy Achievements:
MINISTER FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS OF THE REPUBLIC OF ECUADOR (1/2007 - 12/2007)
Assumed role of Foreign Affairs Minister when new government started in Ecuador (2007) along with the commitment towards a profound transformation of the State by means of a Constitution process, building a new development model, and a new approach to foreign affairs, commerce and economic integration. Within this framework, María Fernanda Espinosa is appointed by the President as Minister of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Integration. Noteworthy Achievements:
- Established the New Ecuadorian Foreign Policy for the 2007-2010 period
- Organized new responsibilities of foreign policy that were aimed at foreign commerce and promoting regional initiatives for political and commercial integration.
During her time as Foreign Minister, Espinosa played an active role, with wide regional and international recognition, in the creation and strengthening of regional instances of political and economic integration. Among the most relevant achievements of her administration as Chancellor during that period, the following stand out: